½ cup (100g) white rice
1 ½ cups (375mL) water
1 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tin (95g) tuna in spring water, drained
1 tsp reduced fat Kewpie mayonnaise
2 sheets nori, cut into quarters
½ small (100g) avocado, sliced
25 minsTime total
- Place rice, water and rice vinegar in a pot over high heat and bring to the boil. Cover with a lid and simmer for 10 min, until rice is tender and set aside to cool down.
- In a small bowl, mix tuna with mayonnaise, reserve.
- Set up your bamboo rolling mat or alternatively a thick, lint-free kitchen towel and line with plastic wrap or baking paper.
- Place a piece of nori seaweed in the bottom centre of your mat.
- Add 1 tbsp of rice and using wet hands spread along the nori leaving a 1cm gap with no rice on the top.
- Add 1 tbsp of the tuna across horizontally on centre of the nori sheet.
- Add a couple of slices of avocado above the tuna, making sure there is enough filling edge to edge.
- Gently lift the bottom of the mat up and over the sushi. Press and shape the ingredients into a tube. Roll with pressure so you get a firm roll.
- Roll until just an inch of nori shows at the top and seal the edge of the nori with a little cold water.
- Firm it up by squeezing the mat around the roll until it feels uniformly snug.
- Slice the sushi to bite size pieces with a very sharp knife.
TIP: For grown up Sushi, you can use 1 half sheet of Nori and add raw salmon instead of tuna.